18 October 2020
Jazz At The Pines – Cancelled
UPDATE – unfortunately due to Covid restrictions, all Jazz at the Pine shows have been cancelled for 2020. We look forward to playing the songs of the 1920s-30s for you again at Jazz at the Pines in 2021!
Greg Poppleton returns to Jazz at the Pines in 2020.
Bring your picnic and relax under the beautiful pine trees in the grounds of Roughley House in Dural as Greg Poppleton and band entertain you with 1920s-30s jazz.
Jazz at the Pines
656a Old Northern Road
Dural NSW 2158
Bring a picnic. Book a table with chairs. Parking. Kiosk. All Ages.
$22 Adults. $18 Concession. $45 Family
In the band,
Greg Poppleton – 1920s-30s vocals
Paul Furniss – clarinet and sax
Grahame Conlon – banjo and guitar
Dave Clayton – double bass
Adam Barnard – washboard and snare
The Pines and Roughley House, built in 1856, has been home to five generations of the Roughley family from convict beginnings to community patrons. Named after the many towering pine trees planted by various generations of the family, the homestead commands views of the Blue Mountains and north western Sydney.
Clive Roughley, youngest of five children lived in Roughley House until 2002. In 1986, without direct heirs to pass on his family home, Clive sold Roughley House and The Pines to The Hills Shire Council for a small fee providing the property would continue to tell of the Roughley family’s colonial life.
Visiting The Pines reveals more than ageing furniture and artefacts. Each room is a ‘time-capsule’ illustrating themes such as the hardship of convict living, the family’s determination to build a new life in the fledgling colony, and their growing prosperity. Larrikin yarns and the pain of a family tragedy are some of the stories told.
Dural is a suburb of Sydney, in the state of New South Wales, Australia 36 kilometres north-west of the Sydney central business district in the local government areas of Hornsby Shire and The Hills Shire. Dural is part of the Hills District, in north-west Sydney.
The original inhabitants of the Dural area were the Darug people. Dural is derived from Dooral-Dooral, an Aboriginal name meaning a smoking hollow tree.
The name Dooral appeared on Surveyor Richard Dundiate’s map of April 1817 and originally covered the whole area including present day Glenorie, Galston, Arcadia and Middle Dural. Located on the Old Northern Road, a historic road built by convicts between 1825 and 1836 to link early Sydney, in the Colony of New South Wales, with the fertile Hunter Valley to the north. The first grant in the area was made to George Hall in 1879.
At an earlier stage, a local settler, James Roughley, had donated land to be used for the building of a church. A sandstone chapel was built on Old Northern Road circa 1846, with a vestry, apse and shingle roof, plus a bell turret on the western gable. A porch was added soon after. The chapel—known as St Jude’s Church—is now listed on the Register of the National Estate.All Gigs