1920s-30s Singer and Jazz Band
- four albums of jazz standards released,
- more than 1,000,000 total YouTube plays,
- Australia's only authentic 1920s - 1930s singer,
- Australia's leading, world-toured classic jazz musicians,
- a long CV of festivals, historic events, TV appearances and club dates,
- a range of combinations from 1920s Jazz Trio to Great Gatsby Orchestra
Commercial Radio Airplay
Web-Ready Photos (Hi-Res on request)
Greg Poppleton caught the jazz bug at age three seeing Louis Armstrong on TV. He's never had any interest in contemporary popular music and is totally uninfluenced by it.
This makes his 1920s - 1930s jazz vocals totally authentic.
Since 2002, Greg Poppleton, authentic 1920s and 1930s singer, has revived the songs of the Roaring 20s, Great Depression and 1930s Swing Era with his band of world-toured classic jazz musicians.
Drawing on influences like Louis Armstrong, Al Bowlly, Annette Hanshaw, Cab Calloway and very early jazz Bing Crosby, Greg has gained a loyal following through his authentic 3 octave vocals, his always top-notch swinging 1920s-30s band and his charismatic and original high-energy performances.
Greg has released 4 albums and two mixes that have received over 1 Million YouTube plays worldwide.
Two albums have received commercial radio airplay.
Greg has appeared in Hollywood movies with Nicole Kidman, John Goodman and Adrien Brody.
He was auditioned twice for the band leader role in Baz Luhrmann’s movie, The Great Gatsby.
‘They Didn’t Believe Me’, from the latest album, Back In Your Own Backyard', was picked for the soundtrack of a new German-Israeli movie co-production, The Cake Maker.
"Damn, I wish I had known you when we had a theatre. We would have called you over to perform with us in a minute! The thing that got both Lynn and me, besides your great voice was your ability to "sell a song" and your particular energy which came across as completely American with Australian pronunciation! You were singing what amounts to virtual American "folk" music. And that trio, which I mentioned at the time (The Rocks Village Bizarre residency), was an absolute knockout. " Lance Belville, Writer / Theater Director, San Francisco
Albums and Mixes
2006 - The Phantom Dancer: Album of the Week: Women's Vintage Radio (US)
2012 - Doin' The Charleston: Album of the Week: 2CH Commercial Radio Sydney, ArtSoundFM Canberra, 5MBS Adelaide.
2013 - Sweet Sue: Album of the Week: 102.5FM Fine Music Sydney, ArtSoundFM
2014 - 1920s-30s Background Chill Mix 1 (songs from 3 albums) 970,000 YouTube views
2015 - 1920s-30s Background Chill Mix 2 (songs from 3 albums) 62,000 YouTube views
2016 - Back In Your Own Backyard. Released 31 October 2016
- World's First 2016 International Jazz Day Event,
- Sydney Festival,
- Waiheke International Jazz Festival NZ (will be re-booked),
- Thredbo Jazz Festival (will be re-booked),
- Illawarra Jazz Fest (re-booked for their supper club),
- Dubbo Jazz Festival,
- Glen Street Theatre Jazz Festival,
- Blue Mountains 1920s Festival (5 years running)
- Canberra Centenary 1920s Gala
- Kings Cross, Aroma, Canada Bay Tea (2 years) Ashfield Carivale, Rocks Village Bizarre, Randwick Eco-Fair, Moocooboola community festivals.
Jazz Club Shows
- Foundry 616
- Blue Note
- Sydney Jazz Club Annual Ball
- Illawarra Jazz Club Supper Club
- Django Bar
- Great Art Deco Ball (yearly)
- Jazz At The Pines (yearly)
- Gin Mill Social Slide Cabaret (monthly)
- Sydney Rowers Club, Wollongong Builders' Club and Club Penrith (regularly rostered band)
In his spare time, Greg Poppleton is a feature film, TV, stage actor with Benchmark Creative and voiceover with premier agency RGM. He has worked with Academy and Golden Globe Award winners, Nicole Kidman, John Goodman and Adrien Brody.
Liner Notes for New album
'Back In Your Own Backyard'
TECH COPY (CD Booklet)
street date: Oct 31 2016
ARTIST: Greg Poppleton and the Bakelite Broadcasters
TITLE: Back In Your Own Backyard
LABEL: Independent (PopTone)
Produced by Greg Poppleton
Recording Engineers: Rowan Wilson and Gregory Appia
Recorded: 11am - 3pm, Wed February 24 2016
Mixed by Peter Gage
Mastered by Peter Gage
Post mastering by George Stathopoulos
Album Design: Angelina Marcon-Jones at Locallure
Greg Poppleton – 1920s - 1930s vocals
Paul Furniss – soprano sax, alto sax, clarinet
Geoff Power – sousaphone, trumpet, trombone
Grahame Conlon – steel string Spanish guitar
Lawrie Thompson – drums, washboard
Live Performance Artist Representation/Management:
Tony Jex // email@example.com
Film and TV Agency:
Anthony Kidd // firstname.lastname@example.org
1. Cake Walking Babies From Home (2:32)
Chris Smith, Henry Troy, Clarence Williams (1924)
2. They Didn't Believe Me (2:49)
Jerome Kern, Herbert Reynolds (1914)
3. Too Marvelous For Words (3:13)
Richard Whiting, Johnny Mercer (1937)
4. I'll See You In My Dreams (2:36)
Isham Jones, Gus Kahn (1924)
5. Back in Your Own Backyard (2:27)
Dave Dreyer, Billy Rose, Al Jolson (1927)
6. Egyptian Ella (2:34)
Walter Doyle (1930)
7. When My Dreamboat Comes Home (3:14)
Dave Franklin, Cliff Friend (1936)
8. Honeysuckle Rose (3:15)
Thomas ‘Fats’ Waller, Andy Razaf (1929)
9. Nobody's Sweetheart (3:36)
Billy Meyers, Elmer Schoebel, Gus Kahn, Ernie Erdman (1924)
10. The Lady Is A Tramp (3:13)
Lorenz Hart, Richard Rodgers (1937)
11. Makin' Whoopee! (3:55)
Walter Donaldson, Gus Kahn (1928)
12. Yes, We Have No Bananas (2:07)
Frank Silver, Irving Cohn (1922)